Why do so many people love group fitness?
Get active and energised with Group Fitness!
What are Group Fitness classes and why do so many people love this form of exercise!? Group fitness and wellness classes are a fantastic group activity where people of all fitness levels can exercise together, to improve their health and wellbeing!
Group fitness classes run in an environment where you are surrounded by likeminded people and supported by motivational group fitness instructors. Your instructors will motivate you as well as provide exercise options to suit your level of fitness and experience.
So, “what types of group fitness are there?” you may ask. There are many different group fitness types, but the main categories typically include Cardio-based classes, Strength-based classes or Wellness style classes.
If group fitness is something you might like to try, below we have explained the different types of classes to help you work out what is the perfect fit for you!
These exercises can be a lower intensity or a higher intensity depending on your fitness level.
- Lower impact cardio typically includes activities, such as walking, swimming or rowing.
- Higher impact cardio classes often involve high-intensity movements like running and skipping as well as incorporating full-body movement. These high-intensity classes will consist of alternating between short bursts of intense anaerobic and strength exercises and recovery periods.
- Health benefits - Cardio exercises have many benefits. They can elevate metabolism after training, help reduce unhealthy visceral fat, burn calories, improve oxygen consumption, assist in reducing blood pressure, regulate blood sugar and help to improve your sleep!
- Example classes - Example classes include Body Combat, Body Attack, GRIT cardio, RPM, SPRINT, cycle, boxing, running club, Metafit, Zumba, SH’bam, Aqua aerobics, Zumba.
Strength classes help you build and maintain your strength in your major muscle groups.
- Health benefits - S Stronger muscles help support your body to perform activities of daily living as well as help reduce your risk of injury. Strong muscles also assist with increasing your metabolism, which, in turn, helps to burn fat and regulating blood sugar.
- Example classes - Example classes include GRIT Strength, Body Pump, Aqua Strength, Bootcamp, Circuit and more.
Wellness and mindfulness activities involve slow movement exercises and stretching, with a focus on the mind and body.
- Health benefits - Wellness classes and mindfulness exercises are great for those who want to relax and improve fitness levels. They can help you to improve your strength and flexibility, reduce muscle tension, correct your posture, assist with reducing stress, aid in better sleep and relaxation, and improve overall mindfulness.
- Example classes - Example classes include Hatha Yoga, Yin Yoga, Vinyasa Yoga, Meditation, Body Balance, Pilates, Reformer Pilates, Power Pilates.
If you haven’t tried a class before, you can always bring a friend along to keep each other motivated whilst scoring a social catch up at the same time!
Can't catch a class in person? Check out some of the fantastic group fitness classes available online from home via the Home Fitness Network here https://www.bhlg.com.au/home-fitness-network/
Distancing protocols and/or regular cleaning and maintenance is in place at our venue in line with Government restrictions to ensure the health and safety of you and our team. Contact our team to find out more.
*Please note, if you believe you have an underlying issue present, and/or your, please seek individualised expert advice from a health professional before completing physical activities.